Now that the bell has rung on another school year, we thought now might be the opportune time to offer up some easy tips for students, teachers and parents of all ages to stay happy and healthy this September.
• Carry the right snacks: Almonds, kale chips, anything that increases serotonin levels. Almonds are the greatest lecture snack, and keep you alert (even when you’re about to take a power nap on your keyboard)
• Swap coffee for lemon water, cold pressed juices, and smoothies. I’m not saying quit cold turkey, but give your body a break once in awhile. Kale! Incorporate Kale into your smoothies and juices so that your body gets all the nutrients it needs. Tip: store them in mason jars, or buy a reusable water bottle that’s spill-proof.
• Don’t skip breakfast! We all get that embarrassing feeling whenever our stomach grumbles loudly in the middle of a lecture, but if you eat right before you head into class, that won’t be a problem. Even if you’re not a breakfast person, carry a Banana with you just in case. If you’re in a rush, a muffin or oatmeal bar is the next best thing. You don’t want to start your day off on an empty stomach.
• Water. I’ve mentioned Lemon Water above, but you truly do need your 8 glasses of water a day. Lemon water not only helps with your skin, energizes you, and detoxes your entire system...but it also doesn’t make drinking water feel like a chore.
• Don’t let stress stop you from eating. I know there’s a lot on your plate, and at times it feels like there are not enough hours in a day, but your body needs nutrients to refuel. Always carry snacks with you, and make a 15-20 minute break during your study session to go for a walk and grab a salad, or a sandwich!